Simone Stenekes works at Canuck Place Children’s Hospice as a Clinical Nurse Specialist. In this role she focuses exclusively on caring for children and youth with advanced illness in the province of British Columbia.
Pediatric palliative care has been a long-term interest for Simone. Simone worked with the Winnipeg Health Region Palliative Care Program for 11 years. During that time she took a one-year opportunity to work as a Clinical Nurse Specialist for the Pediatric Palliative Care Service at IWK Health Centre in Halifax. Upon returning to Manitoba she helped to develop the pediatric palliative care service in Winnipeg that provided consultation to the province of Manitoba. Simone is the co-chair of the Canadian Network of Palliative Care for Children.
As one of the original members of the Canadian Virtual Hospice health care team, Simone has responded to hundreds of questions submitted to Ask a Professional. She is responsible for overseeing pediatric health information at www.virtualhospice.ca.
Master of Nursing, University of Manitoba (2003)
- Bachelor of Nursing (with distinction), University of Manitoba (1999)
- Pediatric Palliative Care Clinical Nurse Specialist, Canuck Place Children’s Hospice
Stenekes, S., Hughes, A., Grégoire, MC., Frager, G., Robinson, W., & McGrath, PJ. (2009). Frequency and Self-management of Pain, Dyspnea, and Cough in Cystic Fibrosis Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 39 (6), 837-848.
- Ens C, Chochinov HM, Berard J, Harlos M, Stenekes S & Wowchuk S. (2008) Pediatric palliative care online: The views of health care providers. Journal of Palliative Care, 24 (1), 41-48.
- Peters-Watral B, Stenekes S, & Wowchuk S. (2008). Clinical nurse specialists in a Web-based practice environment. Canadian Nurse, 104(1), 19-23.
- Stenekes S. (2003). For enquiring minds: Decision-making in adolescent oncology patients. Canadian Oncology Nursing Journal, 13(2), 132.